Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Kissing Hand

The first day of school is emotional for nervous kindergarteners entering a new classroom and for teachers too! 

I like to read The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn on the very first day.  My co teacher, Mrs. Konarek came up with a wonderful idea last year for making sugar cookies with a Hershey Kiss to symbolize the kiss Momma Raccoon gives Chester Raccoon in the story. Chester is scared to go to school, but Momma Raccoon kisses his hand and tells Chester to be brave.  The kiss will last all day at school.  Chester enjoyed his day and comes home very happy to see his Momma.  

The kids last year LOVED the baked cookies. So like most teachers do, I borrowed her idea and made raccoon hands with a Hershey's Kiss for my students this year.  My only regret is for next year I need a dairy and wheat free recipe, because I forgot to take into account allergies.  However, I did have gelatin cups on hand, but the students with allergies explained they would rather enjoy the snack their parents sent to school.   Everybody was happy and it was successful. Oh and the students were very polite.. they all said "Thank you Ms. Adams".
Kissing Hand Cookies











Later, each student made a blue handprint and glued a special poem onto construction paper. I drew a red heart inside the handprint to symbolize the kiss. We sent our poems home as a gift for parents a couple of days later.  I hope the parents enjoyed the special keepsake! (The picture below is similar to the keepsake we completed.)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or two.... :)